Monday, August 8, 2011

Wishing Stars

Today I learnt how to making wishing stars. They are small origami stars that start as a strip of simple paper. They can be made from pretty much anything, newspaper, straws and other things. When in Asia we were given some of these and really did not know the meaning behind them. But through a little research I found out what the mean or what some use them as. There are called wishing stars. Typically you write down a wish or a hope you have and then wrap it up very tight and put it in a jar. After reading this I started thinking about how silly that seemed, but the more I thought the more I realized that is what we do so often. Maybe not with a symbolic paper star but without hearts and minds. We pray that God will grant us this or that, we ask our hearts desires. But when we are not answer in our timing we fold up our request and toss it into a jar that was filled with past requests. When we do this we tend to forget what was written on that paper. We forget what we begged for. And if or when God grants us our plea we have long forgotten we even asked. Though this may be a stretch for some us to relate to, it is a reality in my life. I ask God and I ask God, then I assume that my prayers are as purposely as if I were wishing on a star. They are just dreams that I would like to see happen but somehow give up on. Many know my story and where I am within this mess of driving and home sharing. But few know my heart. Few know how it is hard to be hopeful when every other time it falls through. I stopped telling people when I had applied because they were excited and had hope, and I could not have hope because I was attempting survive. If I had to through another wish in a jar I was not sure I would have anything left. But God never asked me to throw away my hopes and dream he only asked me to be patient.


No comments: